Protecting healthcare providers (HCP) and non-clinical staff from COVID-19 infection remains critical. When HCP or staff identify themselves as having been exposed, the need to respond quickly and effectively will be paramount to minimizing additional exposure risk to your workforce, patients, and guests. While the ultimate goal is prevention, preparation for potential exposure is recommended.
Minimizing Exposure to COVID-19 During Healthcare Delivery
CDC recommends using Infection prevention and control (IPC) practices for all patients (not just patients with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 infections), in addition to standard practices recommended as a part of routine healthcare delivery, including:
- Using telehealth strategies
- Screening and triaging everyone entering the facility
- Re-evaluating admitted patients for COVID-19 symptoms
- Implementing face mask policies and procedures for everyone in the practice/facility
- Facilitating physical distancing
- Implementing universal use of PPE for HCP and facemasks for patients and visitors
- Considering pre-admission or pre-procedure diagnostic testing
- Considering postponing elective procedures and non-urgent visits in certain circumstances
- Optimizing the use of engineering controls and indoor air quality
- Creating a process for responding to HCP COVID-19 infection and exposure
- CDC: Infection Control Guidance for Healthcare Professionals about COVID-19
This webpage collects CDC COVID-19 infection control resources, including guidance on preventing and controlling infection, using PPE and hand hygiene, and safely discontinuing transmission-based precautions for patient with confirmed COVID-19 infection.
- CDC: Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations for Healthcare Personnel During the COVID-19 Pandemic
This webpage focuses on infection prevention and control practices for routine healthcare delivery and while caring for patients with suspected or confirmed COIVD-19 infection.
- CDC: Interim U.S. Guidance for Risk Assessment and Work Restrictions for Healthcare Personnel with Potential Exposure to COVID-19
This interim guidance is intended to assist with assessment of risk and application of work restrictions for asymptomatic HCP with potential exposure to patients, visitors, or other HCP with confirmed COVID-19.
- OSHA: COVID-19
This webpage provides information for workers and employers about the evolving coronavirus pandemic, including links to interim guidance and other resources for preventing exposures to, and infection with COVID-19.
- OSHA: COVID-19 Control and Prevention for Healthcare Workers and Employers
This webpage provides guidance specific to healthcare workers and their employers that supplements the general interim guidance for workers and employers of workers at increased risk of occupational exposure to COVID-19.
- HHS and FEMA: COVID-19 Pandemic: Personal Protective Equipment Preservation Best Practices
This fact sheet summarizes best practices for sustaining PPE supply, while ensuring the protection of HCP.
- NORCAL Group: Mask Guidance for Patients and Healthcare Personnel
This webpage provides general recommendations for mask use, sample mask policies for patients and HCP, and strategies for managing requests for mask use exceptions.
- NORCAL Group: Human Resources
This webpage provides recommendations and collects resources for responding to HCP COVID-19 infection, such as planning for potential HCP and staff absences and safely returning to work from a human resources perspective